Friday, June 3, 2011

A countdown to Hawaii: 7 days


U.S. Army Museum of Hawaii



I had an opportunity today to visit the museum at the Police Academy of Columbia, South Carolina.  My knight-in-shining-armor’s brother graduated (very proud) and we took a tour after the ceremony.  After taking a walk through history, and like all things Hawaii, I started thinking about what kinds of things I might see next week.  We plan on visiting the U.S. Army Museum of Hawaii, which is bound to have exhibits similar to any museum. 



Helicopters, tanks, guns now silenced, and vacant bunkers welcome you to the U.S. Army Museum of Hawai'i. Once a bastion built to protect Hawai'i from invading forces, the structure now houses a Museum that tells the military story of Hawai'i, from ancient times to the Gulf War and the War in Iraq. Each of these hostilities is covered graphically in separate displays with photographs and sound effect creating a real "you were there" experience.



My dad was in the army, and I could remember when he would come home from the field with ‘war’ paint on his face.  He always smelled like dirt, but I was always happy to have him home.  My dad was just always a mess…



Remember how glorious it was to make a mess when you were a kid?  It’s time to let your inner creative artist out with finger paint.  You can find finger paint at most craft stores.  Cover your work space with newspaper.  Find a piece of poster board (or your face), and fill it with sloppy, glorious art.  Then paste a corner of the result here.  – The Happy Book

No comments:

Post a Comment