Thursday, January 13, 2011

Get messy, make play doh!

A great way to relieve stress – making play doh!  And then playing with it, of course!  I took a HUGE chunk of my Saturday and tried a few recipes out.  You’ll be surprised the kinds of things I ran into…ha. 
…TIPS…from me to you!
Do not try this without supervision... I say that because I had… an… experience…if my w0nderful friend, REBECCA, had not been there to laugh with me through my disappointments and rescue me from what I can only assume would have been a disaster, you would not have gotten my feedback!
Play Doh type 1: Traditional Play Dough
Imagine this being almost store bought…
* 1 cup flour
* 1 cup warm water
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon oil
* 1/4 cup salt
* food coloring/kool aid
Mix all ingredients, adding food coloring last. Stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from pan and knead until blended smooth. Place in plastic bag or airtight container when cooled; will last for a long time...
Tips from MY experience…
1.    Read the ingredients carefully.  I put …
Tartar Sauce…
Instead of…
CREAM of tartar.
Yes…there were little pickles in my play doh.  Can you imagine?!
2.    Let it cool…
It was NOT fun trying to knead the play doh…I burnt my delicate fingers off!

Play Doh type 2:  Mister Rogers’ Easy Play Dough

It’s not as easy as you think... BUT it uses the least amount of ingredients…

A fast, easy, simple recipe for non-toxic play dough…
* 2 cups flour
* 1 cup water

Mix together well. You can put dry Kool-Aid or Jell-O in the mix if you want colored dough, or use liquid food coloring.

Tips from MY experience…
3.    Use flour on your hands, as a precaution…
This can get sticky…BE AWARE!
4.    Make sure your assistant has a spoon in handy.
I had to have her scrape the play doh off of my hands, that’s how MUCH, was stuck on it.  I looked like a MONSTER.  It almost reminded me of when I created Howard

Play Doh type 3:  No-Cook Clay Dough

* 3 cups flour
* 3 cups salt


Combine ingredients and slowly add water, a little at a time. Mix well with spoon. As mixture thickens, continue mixing with your hands until it has the feel of clay. If it feels too dry, add more water. If it is too sticky, add equal parts of flour and salt.

Tips from MY experience…
This one also got a little sticky…
5.    PUT THE KOOL AID in first!!!!!!!!!!!  This will give it a more defined color!
6.    Use two packets of Kool Aid.

Play Doh type 4:  Edible Peanut Butter Play Dough

This one is exactly how it sounds…and tastes so GOOD!!!

* 1 cup creamy peanut butter
* 1/4 cup honey
* 2 cups of powdered sugar

Mix together until smooth.

Tips from MY experience…
7.    Honest to goodness…taste it!  Taste it while making it…taste it while kneading it…taste it after your finished…and eat your sculptures!!!
8.    For mom’s who need something quick…STICK WITH STORE BOUGHT STUFF, if you’re trying this for the first time…
9.    I prefer to create things with the store bought play doh…the colors are prettier…and it smells like childhood!
10. It still was A LOT of fun to make...
It’s hard to resist the temptation of playdough.  Whip yourself up a batch from scratch or pick up a few containers of the real thing.  Then go to town!  How can you be anything less than happy while squeezing a bright, shiny ball of playdough between your fingers?  - The Happy Book
 

No comments:

Post a Comment